Tuesday 10 January 2017

My Coverstitch machine adventure - underwear - pants

I don't know if you recall my post last year to do with my anguish over sewing with stretch fabric.  As a result of my inability to be satisfied with the finish of a garment using stretch fabric on a regular sewing machine, I toyed with the idea of purchasing a cover stitch machine.

I actually agonised for quite a long time.  At first I thought that I should buy a very cheap Semco machine from Spotlight.  At $220 it was affordable; but, it's reviews were mainly mixed and negative. Then there's the issue of servicing, a service would cost at least $100 and the internal parts on this machine are plastic. I did layby it, and then cancelled it and investigated further.

What I didn't want was a machine that was both an overlocker (serger) and cover stitch machine. Inevitably one component of this dual system will break down and would be without a machine whilst serving.

I read reviews like this one What is the Best Coverstitch and many other articles. I discussed this with my husband, firstly, we decided that I should get the machine in the brand I wanted.  One that could be easily serviced, a brand that was reputable and easy to get parts for.  So that eliminated the Semco cheap machine.  Besides, I don't think I would ever be happy if I didn't get a reliable machine. Secondly, I anguished over whether it was worth spending money on a machine that it's main purpose was to finish stretch fabric, you know, the fabric I always avoid using because I can't get a professional finish.  Have you noticed that when sewing patterns have been released that increasingly they require you to use stretch fabric?  I have, and decided that I was just hiding my head in a bucket of sand if I really thought that I could avoid this fabric for the rest of my life!

I looked some more, investigated and researched, um and ah'd and then finally bit the bullet at the beginning of December and put a Janome Coverpro 2000CPX  on layby (I felt that if I did change my mind I could still back out of it whilst it was on layby).

Finally the urge, excitement and possibilities of this machine got the better of me, so I picked it up last week.

So, I also said last year that I would like to make underwear.  Using some left over stretch fabric I made my first pair of underpants.  There is no going back, I am in love with my new machine and the possibilities of what I can now make have opened a pandora's box of possibilities!


Happy sewing everyone

Sandra





No comments:

Post a Comment