Saturday 28 January 2017

Burda - Vintage Chic Polka-Dot Dress

Ah, the holidays are at an end, school starts back tomorrow, only six weeks until a public holiday long weekend and nine weeks until the end of term one - but, who's counting?

I've had productive break with all my sewing.  My final dress for summer is a BurdaStyle dress from the book BurdaStyle Modern Sewing, which features 24 plus size patterns from Burda's magazines.

I've been intending to make the Vintage Chic Polka Dot Dress for a while and finally it's day came. No Polka-Dots here.

I had a piece of black polyester fabric in my stash that I wanted to use.  Yes, yes, a bit unusual for me to want to make a black dress, but black is useful and coordinate's well with other items.  Plus, it's a very Melbourne thing to do - wear black, that is.  I had enough fabric to make the dress, but with short sleeves.  So, short sleeves it is.

I just had to make my normal adjustments for my size to it.  Here it is:




The fabric is a bit difficult to work with, although the only place it gave me some trouble was in the collar, it also creases easily.  I know why the collar is flipping slightly upwards, so this will be rectified next time.

The next time I make this it will be in a cotton.  I will probably not waste my time putting in a zip at the side next time as it is easy to put on when you undo the buttons.

Will I wear it?  Yes.  It feels good to wear.  It's a good pattern, I probably decided to go with a stash fabric just in case I didn't like the pattern.

My overlocker (serger) was sent off for a service on Friday, seems that new blades are in order.  Not bad, I've had the machine since the early 1990s; paid good money for it at the time (we were running a business at the time and needed a sturdy machine).  When I took it in it still got good reviews from the serviceman. I thought this was a good time to take it in as I really couldn't see myself working on an outfit on my first week back at work.  It'll be back by next weekend, so, that's well timed.

Maybe some patchwork is in order in the meantime?

When my overlocker returns I will be focusing on Winter clothing (since I got rid of most of my Winter wardrobe in my latest clean up of clothing).

Happy sewing everyone.

Sandra

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I’m so excited to find this post - I own this book and love the patterns, I’m making this same dress and you’re the first post I’ve seen with it! Thank you for the tip about the zip, I think I will skip it and rely on the buttons. Have you made it again or an others from the book? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, I am so sorry that I have not replied to you. I have not made this dress again nor any others. So many projects, so little time. How did your dress turn out?

      Delete