Saturday 14 June 2014

Patchwork Frenzy

Hi everyone

Well, after spending two days trying to work out technical issues with my internet connection, I am now back on line.

Primarily I enjoy dressmaking the most.  However, after a friend introduced me to patch working (many years ago), I now alternate between the two.  Unfortunately for me, it means I never throw out scraps of fabric when dressmaking as they may be 'useful' when I am patch working. I guess that many of us who do both, have similar stories to tell.

Of late, there appears to be a deluge in people around me getting pregnant, and therefore presents with it the challenge to produce baby quilts.  Well, my colleague at work Ronda and I thought that this was a good idea at the time that we came up with it. I've now rallied the term, "speed patchwork and quilting".  Besides trying to keep up with those at work falling pregnant, I also have friends closer to me having babies and birthdays.

Since last December 2013, I'd like to share some creations.


This lap quilt was made for a friend of mine named Jo for her birthday December 2013 (probably the first time that I actually completed a quilt on time for a friend - usually they are late).  It was my second attempt at quilting (all over). Usually I finish my quilts by tying them.

In January 2014 I created this block with an art quilt in mind:


Mm, need to develop this beyond the UFO stage!

Next idea, a full sized quilt for our bed (almost finished), but here are some of the fabric selections and blocks (to be revealed later):





This next small quilt was made for an ex-student of mine's son Paul:

Isn't he gorgeous?

A close up.

For a colleague's son at work, the following quilt. I did the patchwork, and my friend Ronda the quilting:


Off to the Australian Quilt Convention in April 2014 and did a couple of hours class on the Bernina stand and achieved this:  (OK, photo the right way around next time)


You guessed it, another colleague pregnant, the beginnings of the quilt:

The finished quilt, patchwork by me, quilting by Ronda.  I really liked the outcome of this, all those triangles drove me batty!  I must admit that I do like it once it is finished.  Jury is out as to whether I will ever repeat this feat (as I like to at least do a new design twice).

Someone is retiring, and this is the beginnings of it here:

So, Ronda and I have made three more quilts in the last two weeks.  I will reveal these to you in my next post.

Enjoy the next week everyone, and remember to find some time to give back to yourself and do something you enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment