Monday 9 June 2014

Fabric Bargain - Jobs Warehouse

Jobs Warehouse in Melbourne opened today quite unexpectedly.  They had closed down some time ago, shut up shop with rolls of fabric left inside. It opened today to sell to the public.  Hubby was walking by and rang me to rush on down there as full rolls of fabric were selling for $10.  Could I say no to this? Of course not!

Of course I picked up bargains, a roll of Thai Silk for $5 and a roll of beautiful white linen for $5. Had I known I would have got there earlier.  The rolls were virtually walking out.  I think I missed the best of it, but then again, how much fabric can one truly store in a two bedroom apartment?

Although I am elated at my purchase, I am saddened at the end of this era of the Melbourne rag trade. Jobs Warehouse was the last of what existed before; 60 years of history now gone. We now move into a new era (or have been moving towards a new era for some time now). Even up to the 1990s I can still remember Flinders Lane still having wholesalers taking up space above retail shops. Now all gone. I hope that someone makes a documentary about this.

Reassuring today that most buyers of fabric were young people enthusiastic about fabric and their craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment