Friday 23 September 2016

Quilt gifts

Ok, I know, I said I would spend the six months until the end of the year pattern drafting for my own clothing.

Can I help it if people are having babies, retiring or are leaving their employment and we'd like to congratulate them?

I had finished the top to this quilt some time ago Fishing quilt for the man who likes fishing it was always intended for the person who will receive it now, I was just waiting for the opportunity to come up.

Whilst basting the quilt I was looking for a backing fabric, I had some wool flannel that was wide enough for the backing.  I did have batting as the second layer.



As you know by now, I am trying my hand in free motion quilting, I think this looks OK (I have high expectations of myself).  I started by marking the quilt, and then decided I was wasting too much time doing this, so I proceeded to free motion quilt (in the true sense of the words).  Brave, wasn't I?



Backing this quilt with the flannel has made it a heavy quilt. Probably knee size is the biggest I would make if the quilt is this heavy in the future.



This quilt is for a gentleman who we know that has very little spare time, but, enjoys fishing.  It was difficult to find fabric dealing with fishes, that I found tasteful.  I fussy cut the pieces and used a fat quarter pack of green progression colours to complete the blocks.



This next quilt is one that I made for a friend who is a hairdresser and refuses to take any money.  Although I have offered to pay for haircuts, she refuses to take payment. So I decided I would use the same design that I used in the three shirts quilt to complete this:


I call this, "Same, same, but different", note the red,block in the bottom corner, I ran out of the red fabric!  Oh well, as Tim Gunn would say, "make it work".  I like it.  I am retiring this quilt design now and moving onto another.

Babies?  Seems like the rush is on again at work and Ronda and I are busily working away at making baby quilts.  I do the patchwork and Ronda does the quilting.  Here are some of our latest creations:












There are more quilts to be done, stay tuned for pictures of these.


We (teachers) are on two weeks of holidays now, time for my sewing machine and I to become more familiar with each other.

Happy sewing everyone.

Sandra



No comments:

Post a Comment