Thursday 25 June 2015

What fabric do you find scary?



Well, after tonight, it's one more sleep until we get a two week term break.

My thoughts immediately turn to the next sewing project (actually, my thoughts are never too far away from sewing).

Today I got thinking, "what fabrics do people find scary?"

My favourite fabric and fabrics of choice are usually natural fibres:  cottons, silks (dupion in particular) and wool. I love the way they feel, cut and sew.  I do love velvet as well, all my bridesmaid dresses were made in a red velvet.

After that I don't mind mixed fibre fabrics.

I am not a purist when it comes to patchwork and will make quilts using polycottons (I hear you gasp).

Of late, I have taken a journey into stretch fabrics.  I admit, I don't have a love of this fabric, however, as I use it more and more I have begun to understand how to manipulate it more effectively.

Even velvet doesn't put me off, a good velvet mat and a teflon foot and off you go.

I'd never really found a particular fabric scary.  I usually take on a fabric and don't think about it. Until one day, one fabric totally defeated me.

Silk chiffon, it was like trying to tame a tiger.  I still don't think I'm over the whole experience.

Image result for taming a tiger

If you laid it out one way, it went another.  If I cut it straight, it seemed to be off.  I don't like that feeling of defeat, so next time I will wash it first and starch it, dry it and try cutting it.  Of late I've taken to washing fabrics that shouldn't be placed in a washing machine, so why not try it on this one. I will try to tackle it again.  Even if you do scare me Silk Chiffon, you will not win!

So, what fabric do you find scary?

Sandra


No comments:

Post a Comment