Tuesday 5 April 2016

UFO - 1

Pocket section of Quillow
Since I've been on school holidays, this has been a good time to yet again tackle my my fabric stash.  Last break, I was was unhappy with the way I stacked my fabric in the wardrobes as the method of folding I used didn't allow me to store very much.

After some contemplation, I decided to use my quilting ruler to wrap fabric around to fold.  It worked, and as a result, after numerous hours, I was able to fit a lot more fabric in my wardrobe.  The job is not yet finished.  It's a process.  Decisions need to be made as to what stays and what goes.  One laundry basket full of fabric and wool has gone to the textiles teacher at work.  The next lot will go to a group teaching refugee women to sew.  (I haven't got to that yet).

I thought I didn't have many self covering buttons (not so); I thought I didn't have much elastic (not so).  Up side is, I won't have to buy any of these things for a very long time!

I have found some UFOs in the process.  A shirt (now gone); a jacket (that I didn't like the pattern when I first did it - gone).  I have a dress sitting on my machine, and if that isn't finished in the next two weeks - you guessed it, it will also go.

Almost finished quillow (with wonder clips holding binding)
However, I found a quillow that almost was finished. (quilt with an attached pocket into which the whole blanket can be folded, thus making a pillow. - Wiktionary I started this some 15 years ago, I guess.  A friend and I used to get together to sew about once a month.  She gave me this fabric to make a quillow.  It just needed to have the quilting finished and the binding.  This was back in the days that I used to tie my quilts rather than baste them.  So, the underside may have moved slightly in the process, but all that needs to be done now is the hand stitching on the binding.

Happy sewing everyone.

Sandra


No comments:

Post a Comment