Sunday 7 February 2016

Ottobre Woman 2/2006 Design 2 - T shirt

I think I have a hate/hate relationship with stretch fabric.  It's not something that I enjoy the feel of.  Like anything, if we don't enjoy coffee, we make a poor cup of coffee.  If we don't like cooking the meal is just average not great.  There must be an intrinsic love of your medium.  I just don't love stretch fabrics, and so, my struggle to work with it.  I acknowledge that the fabric doesn't need ironing; new stretch washes so easily, but still, I do not love it.

On this occasion I needed new tops. I choose three stretch fabrics in white, red and yellowish/green. Intention that I would get them done in a day.  I purchased these from #super_cheap_fabrics on #Sydney_Road. I made the one in white and have undone around the neckline four times.  On the fourth try, I decided that I would just live with it.

The twisted mess:



This pattern calls for a neck binding, I tried this, it was a twisted mess.  Decided to then turn the binding inwards, looked no better.  Unpicked this, then tried a stay stitch around the neckline, a bit better, not great.  I unpicked for the final time, decided to create a facing that was interfaced, it looks better, it's stretched.  I'm not undoing it again.  I've just got to live with it.

Fourth and last attempt at the neckline:


Well, it's still stretched a bit, but, I will live with this version and use this technique on the next top.

I still haven't made the two other tops, I need therapy after the first one.  Need to work with cottons and silks again, much more soothing and predictable.

Besides finally adding a facing to the neckline, I lowered the neckline from the original pattern to give it another look.

Happy sewing everyone.

Sandra


No comments:

Post a Comment